Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Tasty Tuesday #3: Potato-Bacon Chowder

There are just times, when you want to curl up with a bowl of soup. And not the canned stuff! Recently, it's been so cold around here! And I've been sick, since the day after Christmas. Soup has been my bestie!

Over the last few weeks, my slow cooker has been working hard. Mostly to bring warmth and comfort, to my belly. I've made green chili stew, vegetable beef stew, and a Mexican chicken soup. My Mom has also pitched in, with caldito, more than once!

It's soup and stew season. And now that I'm feeling a little better, I'm wanting more flavor. With the same ease and comfort, that soup brings. Thank goodness, for the Gooseberry Patch Recipe of the Week!



Potato-Bacon Chowder 


 
Ingredients: 
2 c. potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 c. onion, chopped
1 c. water
8 slices bacon
10-3/4 oz. can cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
2 c. milk
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper



Directions:
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook potatoes and onion in water until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Do not drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp; drain and set aside. In a bowl, whisk together soup, sour cream and milk. Add soup mixture to potato mixture along with crumbled bacon, salt and pepper. Heat through over low heat; do not boil. Makes 6 servings.
 
 
 
I made this on Sunday. We kind of just bummed around the house all day. Honestly, I took one of those hours long naps. After church and breakfast. When I woke up, my Mom was into her crafts. And it was kind of cold. This Potato-Bacon Chowder sounded so good! And let me tell you, it didn't disappoint!

What a nice change of pace! I actually made a couple of changes. I boiled the potatoes, but not the onions. When I cooked the bacon, about halfway through, I added the onions. I really like the flavor they get, this way. I also threw in a couple of cloves of garlic, with the onion. Then to make it a little more figure friendly, I used a low fat cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and milk. Worked great! And had some chopped green onion, a little crumbled bacon, and some shredded cheddar cheese to top it with!
 
This honestly, reminded me of a soup, that a friend used to make. I had a friend in college, that liked to cook. And one day, in the dead of summer, she made something similar. I used to think about it a lot, because it was good. Honestly, I think this might have been better!
 
This would be a good recipe to add to your, Game Day Favorites. I can even imagine, adapting it to a slow cooker. It would be nice to throw everything together, and forget about it. Only to sit and watch the game, with a warm bowl!
 
Lastly, I can imagine serving this up, at a Family style dinner. You know, I'm trying to include more family meals into our regular schedule. I'm thinking, I need to whip up a pot for my auntie. Who is headed to surgery this week! I know she'll enjoy it! ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment