Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Tasty Tuesday #18: Grilled Salmon Salad

I don't know about you, but I LOVE to eat salmon. Really, any type of seafood. I'm silly like that. When I first moved away, for college, I learned about a whole new way to eat. Fresh seafood, lots of fruits, and tons of veggies. It really changed my life.

Over the last few years, I've sorted lost my ways. In lots and lots of situations. But mostly the food. My Dad was really stuck in his ways. Had what he liked to eat. And pretty much stuck to it. My Mom is a little more adventurous. But really, not much.

But recently, I've been craving that more simple style of eating. Fresh, clean, and simple. I've been searching out more and more recipes. Experimenting more, in the kitchen. And let's face it, the warmer weather, makes me want to eat lighter.

So when I saw this week's Gooseberry Patch Recipe of the Week, I was so excited! Did I mention, I'm trying to shed a few pounds? I'll get more into that later. But honestly, this recipe sounds so yummy! Something I can eat, a few times a week. With maybe a few tweaks...


GRILLED SALMON SALAD


Ingredients:  
10 to 12 oz. salmon fillet
1/2 c. lime juice
pepper to taste
4 c. spinach, torn
1 c. sweetened dried cranberries
1 c. crumbled blue cheese
1 c. sugared walnuts
1 tomato, sliced
vinaigrette or blue cheese , salad dressing to taste.

 
Directions:
Dip salmon in lime juice on both sides; sprinkle with pepper. Grill over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until fish flakes easily. Divide remaining ingredients except salad dressing among salad plates. Slice salmon; place over salads. Drizzle with desired amount of salad dressing. Serves 2.
 


So I made this on Sunday. The weather around here, was horrible. It felt more like snow, than Spring. My Mom and I, actually went to the Growers' Markets. Both on Saturday, and on Sunday. So I had tons of fresh produce to play with.

Let me start off with saying this, get to know your fish guy. All grocery stores, and meat markets have them. When I spotted this recipe on Sunday, I called my favorite butcher. And asked for some fresh salmon. I usually order 4 fillets a week. So they had some on hand.

Next, I'm super lucky. In terms, that there is so much fresh produce out there. Right now! I bought a couple of bags of fresh baby spinach. And a couple of bags of mixed greens. So my salad, had a mixture of the two. I also used some fresh blue cheese. But opted to go with roasted walnuts. And about 1/2 cup of dried cherries. I was also lucky enough, to find some gorgeous heirloom tomatoes.

In terms of salad dressing, I opted to go a cleaner route. I squeezed a lime onto the greens and tomatoes. And sprinkled with a little S&P. Simple. It's the way I like to eat salads. I'm not much of a fan, of salad dressing.

There you go. Oh, and I let my salmon sit in the lime juice, for about 10 minutes. Then I added the S&P. And baked it in the oven. It was a cold day. And it just sounded like the thing to do. I baked it, on a cookie sheet, at 350*F. Covered with foil. For about 12-15 minutes.

It was super yummy! My Mom actually really enjoys salmon. Probably because I make it a lot. She told me, she expected this salad, at least once a week! It was a delicious meal! Even if it was only 43*F outside. It was yummy! But I can see this being a regular dinner, come the warmer months.

Also, don't be afraid to experiment a bit. Try a different green, cheese, or tomato. There is so much fun, and delicious food out there. I do this a lot with my Mom. I use a recipe that she enjoys, and change up an ingredient or two. It helps you be a little more adventurous in your eating. And you get to learn so much, about your food! Happy Tuesday! ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment