Friday, May 6, 2016

Fabulous Friday #19: Planting Some Memories

Sunday is Mother's Day. How many of you are panicking? Right at this minute. Thinking, I need to go find my Mom a present. Hey, I've been thinking about it for weeks. You see, my Mom isn't your normal mom. She doesn't like getting boxes of chocolate, Edible Arrangements, flowers, balloons, that sort of thing. In fact, my Dad knew perfectly, how to treat my Mom.

We didn't buy her flower arrangements. No way! We'd buy her potted flowers. Or rose bushes. Something for the yard. My Mom spends a lot of time, crocheting. And sewing. In the winter. But once the weather starts warming up, and there is more daylight in the evening...she is in the yard. Pretty much, from Spring to Fall, my Mom is outside.

Last year, we spent most of the Summer outside. I'm not lying! After my Dad's passing, our friends came and cleaned our yard. And after my Dad's services, we pretty much spent all of our free time, outside. I'd begin with painting all of our outdoors stuff. We'd continue to clean the yard. My Mom would plant. We started a garden. And would eat most of our meals, outdoors.

It stayed that way, all Summer long. I'd get up in the morning, water the grass. Play with our dog. Make breakfast, and take it outside. My Mom would wake up, we'd eat. And then, get our hands dirty. Having a nice yard, is a lot of work! And at the time, it was very therapeutic.

Actually, I've always found yard work therapeutic. When I got my home, I'd spend hours and hours outside. Where my Mom is the Queen of Flowers, I was the Gardening Queen. And last year, our yard, really saw those benefits.

So when I was thinking about a Mother's Day gift, I was thinking of something for the yard. Since we no longer have a business, we have a TON of empty land! And every single time, I'm washing dishes, I'm reminded of it. Our backyard was split into, the Business Side. And the Fun Side. These days, it's more like the Gorgeous and Green side...and all that dirt.

My Mom had always remarked, about the Flower Gardens that I'd planted at my home. About 3 years, into living in my home, I bought these big Flower Garden packages. They come with all these bare roots, and bulbs. I planted them...some according to the enclosed diagrams...and others by my own taste.


I figured, that is what I'd get my Mom. Almost 4 months ago, I ordered this set. Because my Mom adores hummingbirds. She has about 6 feeders, in the backyard. And we get nearly 100 hummingbirds a year! So I placed the order. And it arrived yesterday. :)

I'll be doing a lot of planting today and tomorrow. And no, I'm not "out of the woods," to speak. I'm still heading out, and in need of some gifts. My Mom's birthday is on Thursday. And I wanted to get her a sentimental gift, for Mother's Day.

But if you are interested in something similar, let me help you out a bit. The set I ordered for my Mom was $130. It's meant for full sun. All the plants are small. Or bareroots. But they are all ready for planting.


I on the other hand, was looking for shade plants. When I ordered mine, years ago. Trying to replace the dying grass, under my gigantic pecan trees. They no longer have the set I ordered. But this one is interesting. At $160.


This set of ferns and hostas, would be amazing! Especially at $120. Could you imagine, how pretty your yard could look? When they are fully grown, it would be gorgeous. And from experience, I know these bad boys continue growing. Every year. Bigger and more beautiful! They are perfect for the shaded parts of your yard!


If you are more interested in the edibles, here is a perfect collection. For $35. It would be a nice little gift, for your Mom or Grandma. I know a few friends, who wouldn't mind getting this from their hubbys. Honestly, it is nice to go outside, and pick fresh veggies.


And if veggies seem like too much work, an herb garden would be perfect! For $32 you get just enough freshness, to add to your garden. And cooking!

Honestly, it doesn't have to be anything super crazy. Or HUGE. You can go to your local nursery, or super store, and pick up a couple of plants. Or flowers. And go make some memories with your mom. I know my Mom, appreciates things like this, much more than a bouquet of roses.

It's crazy how we can go out into the yard, and she'll tell me stories. About the trees my Dad and her planted, when I was just a baby. About the rose bushes, he gave her over the years. And the tons of flowers, we planted together. Try a new tradition this year. And see where it takes you! ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment