Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Tasty Tuesday #19: Skillet Cherry Pie

Cherries. Yum! I'm a HUGE fan of cherries. Since I was a baby, my parents have had cherry trees in our backyard. So in early summer, I'd sit next to a tree, and eat straight from the branches. They were ALWAYS the best!

And well, on Sunday we were playing things by ear. My sister wasn't sure, if she would make it to see my Mom or not. Her schedule is jam packed with movie making stuff. And it doesn't always leave, a lot of room for family time.

I'd taken my Mom out to Mother's Day Dinner on Friday. And we'd spent Saturday, planting tons of flowers! We went to Lowe's and bought a ton more. And just hung out, in the backyard. So Sunday, was supposed to be relaxed. After visiting mi Abuelita for a few hours, we headed home.

Since I hadn't heard from my sister. I decided to cook for my Mom. We'd bought a big 'ol ham, earlier in the week. And I decided we'd have ham, mashed potatoes, some veggies, homemade rolls, and salad.

After everything was prepped and cooking, I thought...we need a dessert. But I wanted something fast. And easy. Because it was turning into a movie watching evening. And who wants to do all those dishes? Not me!

So I decided to check out Gooseberry Patch. And their Free Recipe of the Week, was perfection! Skillet Cherry Pie. Oh, and cherry pie...is my Momma's favorite!



Skillet Cherry Pie



Ingredients:
 
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
2 9-inch frozen pie crusts, unbaked
15-oz. can tart cherries, drained
21-oz. can cherry pie filling
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. plus 1/8 t. all-purpose flour
1 to 2 T. milk
Garnish: powdered sugar

 
 
Directions:
 
In a cast-iron skillet, melt butter with brown sugar over medium-low heat. Remove from heat. Place one frozen pie crust in skillet on top of butter mixture; set aside. In a bowl, mix cherries and pie filling; spoon into crust. Mix sugar and flour together in a cup; sprinkle evenly over cherry mixture. Place remaining frozen pie crust upside-down on top of cherry mixture. Brush with milk; cut slits in crust to vent. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or until bubbly and crust is golden. Cool; sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serves 8.



Remember I said, it was a last minute decision? Well, I didn't have some of the ingredients. So I'll tell you what I did. I made my own pie crust. It really isn't hard. I just pulled out my favorite recipe, and went to town...making a double crust. And I pretty much, followed the rest of the directions.

Until the end. Because in our home, we believe fresh pie needs something special. Like vanilla ice cream. So I skipped the powdered sugar. In favor of a scoop of vanilla ice cream. And it was delish! We ate ours warm. Yum. I might have to go, have another piece right now. :)

But really, it was a nice recipe. That you can honestly, change up to your tastes. We ALWAYS have frozen fruit. It's one of my staples. But the pie filling, we just lucked out on. My Mom was planning on making a pie for work. But you could change up the fruit. Use fresh, and make your own pie filling. Try a mixture of seasonal fruit. It would all be delish!

Also, because I was using homemade pie crusts, I had a little extra dough. So I pulled out my cookie cutters, to cut some fun shapes. It was incredible! An extra 5 minutes, and I had a beautiful pie. You can do the same, with the store bought stuff. Just cut out your shapes, before adding the top crust. Then with water or a beaten egg, you can add those pieces, to a different area of the pie.

But honestly, this was a fun recipe to try. Super quick. And made a delicious pie. My Mom might have texted pictures of her pie...to all her friends. And I might, just have to make a couple, for later this week. When they are all coming over. To celebrate my Mom's birthday! Happy Tuesday! ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment