Saturday, February 6, 2016

Sassy Saturday #6: Afforable Makeup Brushes

I get a lot of questions about makeup. Back in the day, I used to make YouTube videos. Lots of things happened, that made me stop. But it was a fun way, to interact with people. To talk about things, that I enjoy. And to share products, that I really like.

Some of the ladies, that used to watch my videos, now read my blog. And I still get tons of questions. And I welcome them. You can ALWAYS send me an e-mail at SweetNightingaleSing@gmail.com. I'm no expert. I don't get paid to do this. It's just honest. And real.

With that said, lately, I've gotten plenty of e-mails...about makeup brushes. I will be the very first one, to tell you, good tools...make for good makeup! Honestly! I've been blessed, to have worked with various makeup artists. My friend, being one. But others as well. They all say the same thing!

And I've been blessed, to have a large variety of tools. Everything from an ELF $1 brush, to a $200 brush. Yeah, they are out there. But the most expensive brushes, aren't always the best. And the least expensive brushes, aren't always the worst.

I guess, I could go through all these brushes. All the brands. Which I love. Which I hate. Which I reach for daily. But instead, I'm going to say this. If you are on a poor girl's budget, don't be ashamed. Been there, done that! Actually, right now, Wal-Mart sells a nice line of makeup brushes. They are not terribly expensive. And over a couple of paychecks, you can have everything you might need.

Also, don't be ashamed to try different brands out. My favorite eyebrow brush, happened to come in a Christmas makeup set. The kind you buy at Walgreen's, for $5. There also happens to be, a nice line of brushes sold at Target. I'm sure you've all heard of them before. I have brushes from this line, that are nearly 12 years old! And my favorite face powder brush, is one of those. I think I paid $6 for it.

But with all of that being said, a nice middle ground is Sigma. I first heard about them, on YouTube. I didn't wait for them to contact me. I ordered a set. And kept ordering. The more products came out, the more brushes I bought. I tried everything. And I've purchased so many gifts from them!

So if you are just starting out in makeup. Or maybe you've never had proper tools. Maybe you are looking for a gift. You need to turn to Sigma. I bought my Mom a set, just a couple of years ago. My Mom is not really into makeup. Uses her fingers, for most applications. Or the little brushes, that I want to through away. You know, the type that come in drugstore makeup. So this was definitely an upgrade, for her.

I've also, very recently purchased a set for my niece. She's not new to makeup. But all 21 years of her, is on a tight budget. And I wanted to give her something nice. Something I know she would love. And something that she would make good use out of.

Here are a few sets, that I think would be a good buy. Either I'm picking them, for "value." In terms of, getting a good set, for a decent price. Or in terms of tools, to help you navigate through makeup application. Sometimes, when you think you are horrible at applying makeup, it's really just the tools you are using...


The Best of Sigma Brush Set, includes 7 brushes. For $92. I think a good value, with a variety of brushes. For someone just starting out in makeup. This set includes a smudge brushes, a domed utility, diffused crease, firm shader, soft blend concealer, precision flat angled, and a flat Kabuki brush. In my opinion, you are only missing a good face brush.


The Essential Kit, is another good value. For $160, you get 12 brushes. You get 7 eye brushes...eye liner, pencil brush, tapered blending, eye shading, large shader, small angle, and medium angled shading. You also get 5 face brushes...large powder, large angled contour, duo fibre, foundation and concealer brushes. This would be my first choice, if I was purchasing brushes for the first time.


Actually, this might be my first choice. Hello! I LOVE purple. I know, it's just purple handles. But what can I say? This is the Make Me Crazy Essential Set. Essentially, it's the previous set. Just in a different color. Sigma also offers it in pink, and blue. The pink set is what I got my niece.

Better yet, Sigma is currently having a sale. This set is usually sold for $180. But right now, It's $125.30. Honestly, I might just buy this, and save it. For traveling. To keep at work. Just to have as an extra. This is the set for me!


The Premium Brush Set, is a bit more, of an investment. It's the kind of set, you might buy as a splurge. Maybe a tax refund, kind of present. You get 15 brushes, for $219. A GREAT deal if you ask me. It's the one, I turn to most often.

With this set, you get a free brush case. You also qualify for free shipping. And if you sign up for e-mails, can get 10% off your purchase. Yes, a GREAT deal, if you ask me!


This my friends, would be the largest set of brushes, that Sigma offers. The Complete Set. Available in chrome and copper. For $411. That's $411, for 29 brushes. Yes, I said 29! It comes out to, just around $14 a brush. Now that's a deal!

Again, all the savings from above, apply. Free shipping. 10% off, if you sign up for e-mails. It really is a good deal! And you get a case, to carry your brushes.

Like I've said, these are all investment pieces. If you go to a place like Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreen's...small brush kits start at $20. If you go to MAC, most brushes are $20 and higher. That's for a single brush! I know, I have plenty of them.

But sometimes, we need to invest in ourselves. Maybe you get a larger than normal tax return. Or some unexpected birthday money. Maybe you win a couple of dollars, playing the lottery. Whatever it is, I would try and get a set of these brushes.

Honestly, good makeup brushes, have changed my life. Do I still use brushes from the drugstore, or even MAC? Yes, but time and time again, these are the makeup brushes I'm reaching for. For me, my first purchase, came from money I had saved. I was saving to redecorate my bedroom. Makeup brushes seemed more important at the time. :) And that was a few years ago. Daily spot cleaning, and weekly deep cleaning...they are still like new! ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment