Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Tasty Tuesday #5: Simple Crumb Cake

Some days, you just crave your Grandma's cooking. Or baking. Maybe both. I do this a lot. Recently, I've been thinking about my grandma so very much!

You see, she was an AMAZING cook! I say was, because that is now behind us. My grandma, was a cook manager for almost her entire career. Old school. Made everything from scratch. Worked at so many schools! And for the movies, back in the 50s and 60s. She had articles written, all about her cooking and baking!

Then more than 12 years ago, she had an aneurysm. And a pretty bad stroke. She made a recovery. It was honestly, a miracle! Because no one, thought she would survive all these surgeries. But she did. And after months and months of rehab, she was slowly getting "back to herself."

My grandma never fully recovered. In fact, my grandparents had to move here, to the city, just over 5 years ago. My grandma was struggling that much. The lady that used to crochet a queen size bedspread, in 3 days. Couldn't figure out, how to hold a crochet hook.

This amazing woman, that used to cook up a storm, was now causing small house fires. She used to make everything from scratch. Every. Single. THING! Never using cake mixes, frozen dinners, or shortcuts from the grocery store.

It wasn't unusual, to go to my grandparents' home, and see my grandma rolling tortillas. By the stack! Or baking bread, hamburger buns, and dinner rolls. She did it all! And by herself. On a wood burning stove. We are talking old school cooking! The whole bunch of us, would decide to go camping. We'd get to my grandparents' home, and grandma would have cooked for all of us. Nearly a 100 people. Didn't bother her. Then we'd haul everything to the lake. And she would cook for us, on a campfire!

But that was years ago. After her accident, my grandpa would have to watch her cook. Food was either burnt, or raw. Nothing really, in between. Those delicious tortillas, no longer possible. I miss her old school cooking...chop suey, beef and gravy over noodles, Chicken a la King. And her more known dishes like turkey enchiladas...after Thanksgiving. Her bread. Oh her bread. And of course, her delicious cakes!

Then this past Sunday, my Mom and I, were going to cook for my grandma. She has been in a nursing home, for almost 3 years. So sad really! Not our choice. But we try and visit often. And recently, my grandma has been refusing to eat. She is now 113 lbs. With her shoes on! And she's convinced that the nursing home, is serving horse meat. And nothing else is to her standard.

We got to cooking. Beans, tortillas, spinach, meat with lots of onions, and I wanted to make her a dessert. Lots of food make my grandma sick. So my standby chocolate cake, was out of the question. And there is no making grandma a cake mix, cake. So I found this recipe. Gooseberry Patch's Recipe of the Week!



Simple Crumb Cake




Ingredients: 
18-1/2 oz. pkg. yellow or white cake mix
2/3 c. milk
2/3 c. oil
4 eggs, beaten
Garnish: powdered sugar

Crumb Topping:

3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
2 T. cinnamon
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 T. vanilla extract




Directions:

Mix together dry cake mix, milk, oil and eggs. Spread batter in a greased 13"x9" baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Let cool. Mix together flour, sugars and cinnamon. For Crumb Topping: Mix butter and vanilla; pour into flour mixture. Stir until crumbly. Spread Crumb Topping over cake. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Cool. Sift powdered sugar on top. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
 
 
 
Not only did it sound delish! But it reminded me of, a time past. Something, my grandparents and my Dad, would have enjoyed. With a piping hot, cup of coffee. I can see them all, sitting outside, in the mountains, under a tree. Enjoying this treat!
 
And let's get real. This is right up my alley! I'm not a fan of frosting. Many times, I bake a cake. Frost half of it. And the plain half, is mine. I'm that weirdo. I have always enjoyed coffee cakes. And this sorta, has that same feel.
 
So let's not tell my grandma, that the magic started with a cake mix. Because, let's be honest. Most of my cakes start that way. Then I doctor them up. Add some flavorings, maybe some fruit, or nuts. But for me, this cake was all about the topping!
 
It's not terribly sweet. Just sweet enough. Had a nice texture. You don't even miss the frosting. And it was delicious warm, out of the oven. And cold, later that evening, when we got home. My grandma, dunked hers in coffee. I ate mine, just like that. My Mom enjoyed her piece, with a glass of milk.
 
There you go folks! The perfect little cake. Honestly, it sort of reminded me, of my neighbors too. Maybe I'm just an old soul. With old taste buds. And lots of old friends. But this cake, is a must! You have to try it. You'll Thank me for it. Then, you'll add it to your regular rotation! On another note, I'd love this cookbook too! ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment